Friday, June 18, 2010

A Moment of Activism

I like to avoid politics on this blog. Unless a robot is running for office or someone's attempting to infringe upon my right to bear ray guns, I consider politics to be off topic. We can get enough of that stuff from other sources, anyway. So I apologize in advance for this post, but it's something that I feel is important. Plus, it's a tri-partisan issue (yep, tri-), so hopefully no one will feel like I'm attacking their party directly.

It's come to my attention that three senators -- Joseph Lieberman (I-CT), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Tom Carper (D-DE) -- have drafted a bill that will provide to the government what is essentially unlimited authority to shut down web sites and web providers. There's a lot to the bill, so I'll simply post a link to a site that seems to have a pretty good grasp of the story. It also heavily quotes Lieberman, so you're definitely getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0618/senators-introduce-bill-disconnect-internet/

I hope I don't need to explain why this is bad news, and I hope that people understand that this is absolutely an issue of free speech and that this bill flies in the face of our constitutionally protected rights. Read up, and if you're so inclined, please find a way to let your own senators and representatives in the house know that you do not support this bill.

By the way, I won't be posting comments for this one. In an effort to avoid any crazy political arguments, discussions, rants, or accidental offense to anyone, I think I'll just limit it to the original post. This is purely informational. I hope everyone understands.

Now I'll step off my soapbox. Tomorrow: More toys!

...I wonder if I'll have any readers left...


No comments: